M is your helpful assistant in Messenger, powered by artificial intelligence. Facebook’s messenger’s M offers suggestions by popping into an open conversation to suggest relevant content and capabilities to enrich the way people communicate and get things done.
Related Story: Facebook is rumoured to be switching its News Feed Design
Facebook Messenger’s “M” commenced over a year ago, it was a small AI experiment powered by humans that was aimed to fulfill almost any request. “M” has been in testing with a small percentage of users for the past few months and has been very successful. Facebook’s artificial intelligence assistant will privately interject these recommendations above the redesigned one-line message composer in your Messenger conversations, and your friends won’t see the results unless you approve.
M is designed to surface all the features buried inside Messenger as it strives to become more than just an SMS replacement. Beyond stickers and payments, M Suggestions also can recommend location sharing, timed reminders, group chat polls and ridesharing options from Lyft and Uber.
Send Locations Using Lyft or Uber
- Sending stickers: M shares fun sticker suggestions for your daily life interactions like “Thank you” or “Bye-bye.”
- Paying or requesting money: M recognizes when people are discussing payments and gives them the option of easily sending or requesting money.
- Sharing your location: M can suggest an option to share your location during a conversation.
- Making plans: If people are talking about getting together, M helps coordinating a plan.
- Starting a poll (in group conversations only): Have a hard time making decisions in a group? M lets you set a poll topic and vote in group conversations.
M relies on AI machine learning techniques. It suggests relevant actions to help manage conversations or help get things done. Facebook is bringing the power of M’s AI technology to support and enhance the Messenger experience and make it more useful, personal and seamless.
To experience M, simply chat with a friend or a group as you normally would. M may make a suggestion in a conversation relevant to one of the core actions listed above, and then the M logo and suggestion will appear it’s that simple.
Similar Story: Facebook Introduces Stories and Direct in main Facebook App
And M learns: the more you use it, the more it can help. You always have the option to ignore or dismiss a suggestion if it’s not helpful, and if you don’t want M’s assistance you can easily mute it in M settings.