The Galaxy S8 and S8+ are finally official. There were more leaks of these phones than most recent Samsung devices ever, possibly because the design is so different and probably new to smartphones. These are the official specs, and this confirms the Galaxy S8 will be the very first Snapdragon 835 device on the market. That could give it a big advantage over competing smartphone makers.
The other 2017 flagships we’ve seen so far have been based on the 821, which came out in late 2016. The 835 moves to a newer 10nm manufacturing process with more powerful Kryo 280 custom CPU cores. This is an octa-core chip, whereas the 821 is quad-core. The 835 in the Galaxy S8 is clocked at 2.35GHz on four of the cores and 1.9GHz on the other four. This allows the workload to be spread around for maximum efficiency.
The storage in the base model is now 64GB, double what the Galaxy S7 came with. the Samsung S8 and S8+ still has expandable storage. Its curved displays is definitely one of the major highlights. There is almost no bezel on these phones, so the large screen sizes don’t necessarily mean the phones are larger. The regular Samsung Galaxy S8 is smaller than the Galaxy S7 Edge, but it has a bigger screen.
The Galaxy S8 be packed with Android 7.0 on board. The current version is 7.1 on Nexus and Pixel devices.
Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ Features
- Body: Polished aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front and back; IP68 certified for water and dust resistance. Arctic Silver, Orchid Grey, Black Sky, Maple Gold, and Coral Blue color schemes.
- Display: 5.8″/6.2″ Super AMOLED, 2,960x1440px resolution, 18.5:9 (2.06:1) aspect ratio, 571/529ppi; HDR 10 compliant (no Dolby Vision).
- Rear camera:12MP, f/1.7 aperture, dual pixel phase detection autofocus, OIS; multi-shot image stacking; 2160p/30fps video recording.
- Front camera: 8MP, f/1.7 aperture, autofocus; 1080p/30fps video recording.
- OS/Software: Android 7.0 Nougat; Samsung Grace UX; Bixby virtual assistant; Smart Connect, Smart Connect Home
- Chipsets: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835: octa-core CPU (4xKryo 280 + 4xCortex-A53), Adreno 540 GPU. Exynos 8895: octa-core CPU (4x2nd-gen Mongoose + 4xCortex-A53), Mali-G71 GPU.
- Memory: 4GB of RAM (6GB option for some markets, probably later down the line); 64GB storage; microSD slot for cards up to 256GB, UFS cards support.
- Battery: 3,000mAh/3,500mAh Li-Po (sealed); Adaptive Fast Charging (same as S7); QuickCharge 2.0 support; WPC&PMA wireless charging.
- Connectivity: Single-SIM, Dual-SIM available in certain markets; LTE-A, 4-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.16/13 (1Gbps/150Mbps); USB Type-C (v3.1); Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; GPS, Beidou, Galileo; NFC; Bluetooth 5.0.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader; iris recognition/face recognition; single speaker on the bottom; 3.5mm jack; bundled AKG headphones.